I like cooking. It is like therapy for me. It is a chance to be creative and then you get to literally enjoy your work! 🙂 I follow two basic approaches. I either start with a recipe that I have cut out of a publication that intrigued me. Or I look in the frig and see what is there. The first method requires me to plan, buy stuff, and take time to read and learn. The second is a challenge but is the lazier alternative. I enjoy both forms of cooking.
Life is like my cooking analogy. (stay with me). You can always rely on what you have, what you know, and who you know. Or you can add new learnings, new connections, and new ideas to your process. I know this is not an either or proposition. We all have our tendencies, our habits, and our default modes of living and cooking.
I have seen that people network this way too. They have a few people they rely on for their career nourishment, their advice, and their direction. Not talking about your mentors now. I am referring to your network that is beyond your friends and family. These are people that may occupy your extended reference list, including former bosses, colleagues–people who you from time to time rely upon for advice and connections. How fresh or stale is this network?
This is the network that is in your frig.
Now think about where you are going with your life and career. Your ambitions, goals, and career aspirations–(your recipes, if I have not overstretched this analogy already). How does your network relate to these thoughts? In other words, does your current go-to network have the experiences, background, passion, connections to help you get to where you are going?
If you have read any of my posts you know that you can never under-estimate your existing relationships–that you often don't know who you know.
But I also want you to take an inventory of your current network. To see whether you need to add to your network or uncover your needs in your existing network.
The point is to design your network. Curate a network that has the dimensions and facets that reflect your interests, career objectives, and passions.
I meet so many people who want to work in a non-profit. That is what they say. "I want to work for a non-profit." They might as well have said they want to live in Asia. The lack of specificity will engage no one in your quest. After I pummel them with questions about the specifics, I always ask them, "Who do you know that works in a non-profit (especially one they want to work for)?" Most tell me they do but HAVE NOT HAD THE TIME TO CONNECT WITH THEM? Hmmmmmm.
Our networks have to reflect where we are going and certainly match up with what we tell others are important to us.
Look in your frig. See what you need to acquire, learn about, read about—specifically who you want to meet. Is everyone in your network more or less like you? Then you need to add some variety to your cooking! Talking to yourself will only get you so far! You need new ideas, inspirations, and energy. Once you have a good idea about your goals then seek people with names you want to meet. People with certain titles. People in specific orgs. Which orgs are the leaders in this field/industry? Who are the thought leaders?
Are you following the people, organizations and publications that reflect your goals?
Curate your own network. Not just by adding friends on FB or linking on Linked-in. Do it with intention and purpose. Not just to get jobs, but to deepen your understanding and your commitment to your goals–the ones you say to yourself and to others. Once you connect with others those words and thoughts will change but your path will become more clear.
Thanks for reading. John
2 thoughts on “Curate Your Network”
I really like this post. This is something I have been trying to practice for a while once I established my goals in life.
Your awareness is 90% of the solution. The other 10%, like in all habits, is execution. Keep at it. You will see benefits in your worldview and your opportunities. All the best John